History – 100 Years of Steel
Serving Western Canada since 1910
Wilkinson Steel and Metals Inc began in 1910 in Vancouver as a steel and metal products supplier. Today, after a century of business, we are a full line service centre with 10 locations across Western Canada. Our diverse range of steel and metal products and processing services means convenient one-stop shopping that saves our clients time and money. Our supply chain solutions ensure our clients have the right product on time, every time.
A Solid Foundation
Did You Know…
We were the first full line service centre in Western Canada:
- To acquire a laser cutter
- To attain ISO certification
- To offer 24/7 inventory management with our proprietary web-based software
Today, as a strategic partner with customers and suppliers across Western Canada, our reputation is built upon our quality products, precision processing and inventory solutions.
As the sole distributor for U.S. Steel in British Columbia, Frank Wilkinson established Wilkinson Steel Ltd. in Vancouver in 1910. Products included coils and sheets. When the First World War began in 1914, it is believed that Wilkinson supplied steel for Canada’s war efforts.
In 1927, Wilkinson moved its office and warehouse from its original Vancouver location on Beach Avenue to the False Creek industrial area. Despite the tough economic times, the company continued providing steel products to clients and projects in B.C.
Frank’s son, Joseph, became president of Wilkinson Steel. As the primary steel supplier in Western Canada, it is believed that the company provided steel for Canada’s efforts in the Second World War.
Founder Frank Wilkinson died in 1949.
Wilkinson expanded its operations by opening an office in Edmonton, Alberta, and building its first plant there. Construction on Vancouver’s Ironworkers Memorial Bridge began in 1957. Wilkinson Steel provided some steel for the project. In 1958, Wilkinson’s head office moved to its current location on SW Marine Drive. It is believed that Wilkinson supplied steel for the construction of the George Massey Tunnel, a highway traffic tunnel linking Vancouver to communities south of the Fraser River.
In 1961, Wilkinson built a plant in Calgary, expanding its operations once again. Cam Wilkinson becomes company chair in 1964 after his father, Joseph, drowns in a canoeing accident. Cam appoints long-time friend and associate Archie St. Louis as president. The two men lead the company for decades. In 1962, Wilkinson expands its reach into Western Canada by opening a sales office and plant facilities in Saskatoon.
In 1973, Wilkinson acquired Calgary’s Exchanger Sales and Services, a steel manufacturer. Business throughout Western Canada boomed.
In 1982 when Canada’s economy went into recession, Wilkinson experienced its worst losses ever. To survive, Wilkinson closed its downtown Vancouver office. Amalgamated Metal Corporation (AMC) purchased Wilkinson Steel and Exchanger in 1989. Cam Wilkinson and Archie St. Louis resigned as chair and president. Vern Slaney was appointed president.
In 1991, Wilkinson Steel acquired Samuels steel operations throughout Western Canada, allowing Wilkinson to fortify its presence as a distributor of steel and metal products. In 1991, Wilkinson sold 95,000 tonnes of steel.
In 2004, Wilkinson recorded its highest sales volume, selling 190,000 tonnes of steel. The company expands its processing capabilities by purchasing key equipment, including a Hyd-Mech M-20A 120 Bandsaw, a GMM CTL Line with 10,000 lb coil capacity and a Braner Loopco slitter with maximum coil weight of 50,000 lbs and maximum coil width of 60”.
Wilkinson Steel and Metal Products celebrated its centennial anniversary. The company was a division of Premetalco Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Amalgamated Metal Corporation.
Wilkinson is purchased and is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Nova Argent Canada, Inc.
8250 130 Street
Surrey, BC V3W 8J9
Toll Free: 1-800-663-1297